In-Game Update: Bears 2 at Penguins 3 FINAL

The Hershey Bears traveled up Interstate 81 to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for the second time this season to battle the Penguins. Following a scoreless opening 20 minutes with energy displayed on both ends, the Atlantic Division leaders posted a field goal to jump out to a 3-0 lead in the second period.

Kevin Porter tallied on the Pens’ first shot of the period only 26 seconds in. 8:58 later, Wilkes-Barre doubled their lead on a blast from the high-slot from Niclas Andersen. Hershey’s penalty kill woes on the road took yet another hit, as Jean-Sebastien Dea scored his seventh of the season with 5:41 to play. He beat Peters low to the ice with a screen in front of the cage.

In the final minute, the Bears would get on the board for the first time this season at the Mohegan Sun Arena. Erik Burgdoerfer earned his first tally of the season on a bullet from the outside. Last night it was Tyler Lewington and Mike Moore, tonight it’s Burgdoerfer providing Hershey’s defenseman scoring spark.

Riley Barber grabbed a goal for the Chocolate and White to suddenly cut the deficit to one at the 5:39 mark. Following six consecutive Wilkes-Barre power plays, the Bears would go to the man-advantage with 2:26 remaining via a too many men minor on WBS.

Chris Bourque would hit the cross-bar on the power play, but the equalizer would not come. Wilkes-Barre takes the game 3-2 to wrap up Hershey’s Thanksgiving weekend.  The Bears’ record drops to 10-6-0-4 and grab three out of six standings point on the week.

If there’s a bright side, it’s the Bears making a close game out of a 3-0 deficit, rather than a 3-0 deficit turning into a 7-0 rout. The power play on the road remains not so bright, as the road power play drought extends to 0-for-the-last-31.

Back-to-back games the Bears have the advantage 5-on-5, but in the end fall short. That in itself should show the importance of having strong special teams.

See you next week!

Submitted by intern Matt Trust


Submitted by intern Matt Trust