In-Game Update: Pirates 2 at Bears 3 FINAL

The Hershey Bears opened their weekend with a rare Friday night game at the den. It’s the first game in as many nights against the Portland Pirates. Logan Shaw opened the scoring for Portland 12:36 in. Shaw crashed the net with speed and sneaked a shot short side past Justin Peters.

It was a quick moving frame which saw the Chocolate and White kill a four minute double-minor high sticking call against Dustin Gazley. In the final minutes, Sean Collins missed an open net by inches, but eventually set the table for a 5-on-3 power play for a full two minutes.

Hershey could not cash in prior to the period’s finish, leading to a 1-0 Portland lead after 20 minutes.

The Pirates killed off the remainder of the 5-on-3 to start the second period, but Hershey drew even on their next power play chance. Brent Regner was called for delay of game after chipping the puck from his defensive end into the penalty box without a deflection. At 8:06, Chris Bourque tied the game with a beauty of a bank shot off a defender and in. You can’t argue the Bears did not get a bounce this game.

Into the third period, the Bears scored twice, including a shorthanded dandy in the final minute to cap a thrilling 3-2 win. 2:41 into the period, Dustin Gazley knocked in his fourth goal of the season to put Hershey ahead.

Portland’s Dylan Olsen countered to tie the game a second time just 31 seconds later. Into the final stretch, Mike Moore was called for a high stick double minor with 2:17 left. It appeared the Chocolate and White would have to survive a late penalty kill just to force overtime.

Connor Carrick, however, had different ideas. He scored a shorthanded goal with 15 seconds left to lead his club to a 3-2 win.

Just wow.

I don’t think I’ve seen a game-winning shorthanded goal in the final minute of regulation in all my years around this team.

The two teams will rematch in less than 24 hours, but for now, let’s just enjoy that win!

See you tomorrow!

Submitted by intern Matt Trust